Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 3

Today is my birthday!!! wooo hoo!!! Happy Birthday to me!
Last night's dinner is on the blog for today! My husband was preparing to go out of town and had to stay at the office a little late. I knew the kids would be starving by the time he got home so I made them dinner early and used this opportunity to use up my Veggie Enchilada mix. Below is the recipie for a full 9x13 pan but you will have extra mixture left, it is just enough to make about 5 more. Just right for me and my husband and leave a little left over for our lunches the next day!


Vegetable Enchiladas
olive oil (enough to sauté)
1 butternut or acorn squash
2 diced yellow onions
2 diced sweet bell peppers
1 medium diced zucchini
1 medium diced yellow squash
1 ½ cups frozen corn
3-4 cloves of minced garlic
1 can of black beans
1/2 bunch cilantro
2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray
tortillas (corn, flour, spinach whatever you like)
1 ½ cups of your favorite salsa


Wash and halve squash, scoop out the seeds. Place face up in a shallow baking dish, add about an inch of water. Roast in the oven about 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees, or until squash is soft but not mushy.

Preheat oven to 375. Grease 9x13 baking dish

Chop up all vegetables and in a large skillet, warm the olive oil. Add onions and peppers, zucchini and yellow squash. Sauté about 10-15 minutes on medium, add in garlic and corn and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Place in a large mixing bowl

Drain and rinse beans. Put beans and roasted squash into food processer with about 2 tablespoons of water until mixture is mixed well.

Add blended mixture and whole beans to sautéed veggies in the large mixing bowl. Season with sea salt, black pepper and cumin as desired. Chop bunch of cilantro and add to this mix.

Fill tortillas with about 1/4-1/2 C filling, depending on size of tortilla. Place seam side down in baking dish until full.

Top enchiladas with salsa Bake for 20-30 minutes cover with foil but becareful not to let the foil touch the top of the food because it will stick to the food!

The Vegetable mixture will make 1 pan of “taco size” tortillas and leave a little extra. In the below pictures I made “what was left” from a batch I made last week. You can freeze the leftover filling and make a smaller batch on a night when you have a smaller crowd.

The first time I made this my kids caught me making the squash... they aren't fans at all to put it mildly, THE HATE IT. But I made them try it any way. They actually loved the enchiladas my son ate 3 of them! If your kids aren't fans of any of the specific veggies... make them stay out of the kitchen while you cook and lie! They are great and the flavors together hide a multitude of great veggies! Bring on the vitamins and fiber! shhhh. I won't tell!

Panned


and Plated

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! They looked great, Kiyah won't stay of the kitchen when I'm cooking tho :-/

    ReplyDelete