Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 2

Breakfast Anyone?

Okay, I have a teenage girl (14) who doesn't want to wake up in the morning at all! She gets up with 20 minutes until we have to leave she takes 15 getting her clothes picked out and another 5 or so straightening her hair. She does her make-up in the van and carries her shoes and coat to the car. She doesn't have time for breakfast. I have been buying those crappy breakfast bars and she doesn't really like them but she doesn't have time to cook anything and hates cereal. I have 3+ other kids so I don't have time to cook something while trying to get them all ready... So what to do? Well... I tried this this morning. Not sure she will ACTUALLY eat them but they are really good!


Maple Date-Nut Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

1/4 cup real maple syrup (no aunties or cabins please)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1 cup chopped pitted dates
1/2 cup dark brown sugar Using brown sugar makes baked goods crispy but moist
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons vegan margarine, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup soy, rice or coconut milk yogurt (I used Soy blueberry flavored because I couldn’t find my normal plain soy)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 Tbs ground flax seed (flaxseed meal (do not skip this it holds the recipe together))

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9- x 13-inch baking pan (325 degrees for glass or dark pans)
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring slowly with a wooden spoon until well combined. Pour the mixture into pan, and press evenly with waxed paper or a spoon that has been sprayed with cooking spray. (picture 1) Bake 25 minutes or until just golden brown around edges. (Picture 2) Cut into squares after it cools. Store up to 3 days at room temperature or keep in the fridge for a week. I cut mine and put them in sandwich bags so that she could grab them for lunch.

I would imagine you can freeze these bad boys and pop ‘em in the microwave if you wanted to… I haven’t tried it. I will and let you know how that works.


Picture 1


Picture 2

No comments:

Post a Comment