Thursday, March 11, 2010

Broccoli Soup!

This picture makes me realize I need some non-red dishes because all food doesn't look good in red! I love red though as I am sure you can tell!







I used to eat Broccoli Cheddar soup 2-4 times a week. I was my FAVORITE so when I became a Vegan it was a huge struggle for me not to eat it but as some of you know the reason that I don't eat dairy is because I am very allergic and I have a bad reaction when I eat it. Usually in the form of digestive pyrotechnics... so it isn't too hard to not eat dairy! This soup is an amazing substitute and I don't miss the greasy cheese either. I love that this soup is thick and creamy and still has all of the broccoli flavor of the cheesier version. Even my non veggie kids love this soup. Take the time to make the homemade croutons...it is so worth it.


Broccoli Soup
• 2 tablespoons margarine
• 2 tablespoons Olive oil
• 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 carrot, chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cups Vegetable Stock or Purchased Broth
• 1/2 cup Tofutti Sour Cream
• Homemade Croutons, recipe follows
Melt margarine and heat the oil in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, onion, carrot, salt and pepper and sauté until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color. Add stock and bring to boil.
Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. Add the Sour Cream. With an immersion blender, puree the soup. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and then replace the lid back on the pot. Serve hot with Homemade Croutons.

Homemade Croutons:
• Day old French bread
• Olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut bread into cubes and place in a large bowl. Drizzle cubes with olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Using your hands mix well.
You can use any spices that you want but for this recipe it goes well with the soup!
Spread seasoned bread onto a sheet pan and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment