Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 1

This is my birthday present to me... my birthday isn't for a few more days but after watching Julie and Julia I got the idea to start a Vegan cooking blog. I know there are 1000000000000000000000000000000000 million out there. But I don't care I am doing this for me and all of the people who are constantly asking me questions about Vegan"ness". Not sure what I am cooking for dinner tonight but it probably won't be a big event. I made Vegan Onion Rings and Veg Patties last night. I am still fanning the smell of the oil from my kitchen. Unfortunately it is only 30 degrees today so I can't open the windows or my chihuahuas might burn themselves trying to climb INTO the fireplace.

Here are last night's recipies...


Vegan Beer Battered Onion Rings

Vegan Butter Milk
For every 1 cup of soy or rice milk, add 2 tablespoons of either white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice.

For example, if you have three cups of milk, add 5 tablespoons of vinegar/lemon (1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp)

Wisk in Bowl and leave at room temperature for 15 minutes to “curdle”

Beer Battered Onion Rings


• 3 cups vegan buttermilk (above)
• 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
• 1 teaspoon garlic, granulated
• 12 ounces beer, medium body
• 3 Sweet Onions
• Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut onions 1/2-inch thick, remove dark exterior of onions, separate into rings and soak in “buttermilk” for 1 hour.
Combine 1 cup of flour, remaining salt, pepper, and garlic, mix thoroughly. In a medium bowl combine beer and 1 cup of flour, mix thoroughly.
Remove onion rings from “buttermilk”, shake off excess, dredge in flour, shake off excess, then dip in beer batter.
Drop some onion rings in oil and continue process, being sure not to crowd rings as they will stick together. When golden, remove and let drain on paper towels.

and

Yummy Veggie Burgers Adapted from:
Guy Feiri’s “Morgans’ Veggie Patties”

Ingredients
• 2 ounces olive oil
• 3 tablespoons diced red onion
• 2 tablespoons diced black olives
• 2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
• 1 teaspoon diced jalapeno
• 1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
• 1 tablespoon diced artichoke hearts
• 4 ounces black beans, drained
• 4 ounces chickpeas, drained
• 4 ounces white kidney beans, drained
• 6 ounces rolled oats
• 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
• 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
• 1 egg (ener-g egg replacer)
Directions
In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add 1-ounce olive oil and all raw vegetables except beans. Saute until translucent. Remove and cool.
Add veggies to beans and mix thoroughly. Add all dry ingredients along with the egg replacer. Thoroughly mix all ingredients and form into 4 patties, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In saute pan add 1-ounce olive oil, and cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Sorry no pics for this one but I will take some the next time! Who knows maybe I will put my dinner up!

No comments:

Post a Comment