Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vegan Pizza

Okay, lets face it most of the cheeses you can buy as a Vegan are nasty! I am devising a new way to eat pizza and still be happy about it. Dominoes changed the recipe and they are no longer Vegan, so that leaves me myself and I to make my own. I know, there is Kashi's Vegan pizza which is tasty but I can't find it ANYWHERE!!! I hate Amy's version and I still haven't find a good one.

Here is my first trial...

I am trying a white pizza sauce but I am not sure what to do with the toppings. I hope the white sauce will add the flavor and creaminess that is missing from a cheese-less pizza.

There are two crusts to this recipe so make one Vegan and one for the rest of the people in your house! My kids eat everything so I use pepperoni and cheese on the pizza they eat but you can make a vegetarian or a meaty version for those in your house.

Step 1
The Roasted Garlic:

1 head garlic (slice off the top quarter of the head)
1 teaspoons olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Place the garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet and rub 1 teaspoon of oil into the top of garlic head. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and place, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake until soft and golden, it will take around an hour.

Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Squeeze each head of garlic to remove each piece of garlic.

Step 2
The Crust:
I am going with a breadmaker crust,

1 1/3 c water
2 tbsp olive oil
4 c bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp active dry or bread machine yeast
Cornmeal

Add all ingredients (except the cornmeal) in order into a 2 pound bread maker. Use dough Setting

Divide dough in half for recipe makes 2 pizzas grease a baking pan, sprinkle corn meal on to pan. With greased fingers, pat dough into pan. You can use a pizza pan, rectagular cookie sheet or a deep dish pie pan, whatever you have.

Cover pizza crust competely with a warm wet towel or plastic wrap and let rise 30-45 minutes or until nearly double. Bake in a 375 oven for 10-25 minutes or until lightly browned add desired topping and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until the toppings are done.

While the crust is cooking, make your sauce...

Step 3
The Sauce:
1 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons margerine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2-4 heads of roasted garlic

Melt margerine in a medium saucepan. Add flour when butter is melted stir until melted. Do not let the flour brown, cook for a few minutes. Wisk in the salt, pepper and milk slowly until all of the milk is added. Bring the mixture to a low boil until thickened (should be about 2-3 minutes.) Remove from heat and add garlic cloves. Let cool 5-10 minutes until room temperature.

When cooled put sauce into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. When the sauce has cooled put on pizza and top with whatever you like.

The Toppings:
With a strong garlic sauce and some added creaminess the sky is the limit... put whatever you like on the pizza! Here are some suggestions from me:

Mushrooms (wild, crimini, portobello any!)
Onions
Green Pepper
Seitan
potatoes (I know it's wierd but try it! Frozen southern style Hashbrowns are perfect)
Artichoke Hearts
Black Olives
Sun Dried Tomatoes
Asparagus
Basil
Figs (Roman style)
Roasted Eggplant
Vegan Meatballs
Roasted Red Peppers
Vegan Pepperoni

Here is a combination that looks particularly tasty to me:
Roma tomatoes, pepperoncini, Castilla olives, capers, rosemary, oregano

Miss Parm sprinkles?
Try this:
finely ground Walnuts, Nutritional Yeast, Sea Salt
1 cup Nutritional Yeast to 1 cup walnuts and add sea salt to taste. It won't taste like cheese but it's a good substitute.

2 comments:

  1. One of these days I'm going to have try your recipes! Maybe when keith and I move to our next home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, The white sauce in the above recipe is as close as the Davannis white pizza sauce as I can get, I haven't tasted it since um... 1994 but this is what I remember. So, If you are a fan of it... you would like it!

    ReplyDelete