Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Still haven't figured out the mobile posts... dang it

So anyone that knows me knows I am obsessed with Falafel!
I have finally done it! I have perfected my own falafel recipie better than the Middle Eastern Grocer in Antioch!

Here it is!

2 cups dried chickpeas do NOT use canned!!!
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 medium onion, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 big handfuls fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 handful fresh cilantro, leaves coarsely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Soak your chickpeas overnight 8-12 hours... 2 cups is a small bag. Chickpeas should double or triple in size.

Put chickpeas into food processor and pulse until chickpeas are thouroughly ground but not smooth. No whole peas should remain. Add the reminder of the ingredients slowly and mix together. Your falafel mixture will not stick together if you didn't grind it up well enough. Taste your falafel before frying to be sure it is salted enough.

Fill your fryer with oil. Heat a deep fryer to 375 degrees or use 3 inches of oil in a heavy pan. I use a cast iron skillet on the stove top heated on Medium High until it gets to 375 degrees.

Using a round tablespoon measure a large scoop of falafel mixture and form into a small patty. (unless you like falafel meatballs) I typically make about 6 or 7 falafel patties at a time and then drop them all into the oil at the same time so they are all done together.

Using a tongs flip or turn your falafel if using a pan halfway through. Falafel is done when golden brown and should be cooked all of the way through. The patties should lose their shininess when cooked through.

I usually eat about 3-4 patties with Rice Pilaf and Pita with the Tahini dressing I posted in an earlier blog.

Enjoy... I know I do. OFTEN!

And yes, this is the recipe I was working on when I almost burned my kitchen down... Oil is not a toy people!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment