Friday, November 18, 2011

Caramel Apple Cupcakes


A while back I stopped updating this blog and have been working on perfecting some of my skills. I am also considering Culinary School. I struggle with the vegan issue as well as the family issue though and I am not sure if it will work at this point in time but I have decided to continue to hone my knife skills and challenge myself to see where I can get. Hopefully I will be able to update a little more often now that I will be again working on new things.

I have been inundated with requests for my Caramel Apple Cinnamon Cupcake recipe. It is part of a cookbook I am making but I will throw it on here for those who are asking. :) For one of my friends in particular:(You better let my precious baby friend Psalms have some... you know who you are lol!)


Caramel Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes
The Cupcakes:
1 ¼ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon extract(optional)
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line muffin tray with paper liners and set aside until ready.
Wisk together Soy Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar in a medium sized mixing bowl and set aside to allow to curdle. Next, sift together flour, baking soda, baking pwder, salt and spices. Add sugar, oil, and extracts to the Milk mixture and slowly mix flour mixture into milk mixture until just combined. Do not over mix!

Fill paper liners 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

The Center/Topping:
2 Granny smith Apples or other baking type apples
2 tbsp Vegan Margarine (Earth Balance is my first choice)
2 tbsp Brown sugar

Carefully dice Apples into 1/2 inch dice. Melt Margerine in heavy bottom skillet and add apples and brown sugar. Coook at medium temp until apples are soft and sugar has caramelized and liquid has reduced.

The Frosting: (Click on the link for more awesome cupcake recipes and icings and more from Isa Moskovitz and Terry Hope Romero)
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup vegan margarine (softened)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

cream together cream cheese and margarine with electric mixer. When well mixed add vanilla extract and slowly add powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments until well mixed.

There is also typically a vegan caramel in these cupcakes as well however it is a very advanced culinary technique and I am not going to post it. The apple mixture in the cupcakes should be enough for the caramel flavor or you can purchase something like This Vegan Caramel or you can just skip it.

Now to assemble, I cut a cone shape out of the cupcake in the middle. You can also use a spoon and dig it out but keep removed cake in one piece. Place the cone shape to the side and fill with apple mixture. Put the cone point side up back onto the cupcake and the using a icing tip pipe around it using it as a center to get a nice tall peak on your cupcake. Sprinkle a couple more apple pieces on top of your cupcake and a small amount of caramel if using.

1 comment:

  1. I understand about the Culinary School issue. I figure that if I PAY to go to school somewhere, then I should probably get a job in that field. And most jobs related to Culinary School require exclusivity evenings and weekends. And I am not in a place where I can work every evening and weekend. When you add vegan to that, I can see where it gets messy.

    Oh, and no we are not vegan. Yet. I am starting with eliminating dairy. We will see where it goes from there...

    ReplyDelete