Thursday, August 19, 2010

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars


I decided that the granola bars that you buy in the store just weren't good enough for me anymore... I can do better! Turns out, I was right!

People ask where I get these recipies, so here it is in brief: I look up somewhere between 10 and 30 recipes and figure out what they have in common and then look at ways to cut the animal products out, I use my past recipies to figure out what works and what doesn't then finally... I try it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What I post on here I have tried them and they are ready for other people to make.

Hope you enjoy!

Chewy Granola Bars:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup chunky natural peanut butter
2 2/3 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup wheat germ
Totaling 2 cups- mini chocolate chips, bran cereal, sweetened coconut and flax seeds or any other fillers you like

METHOD
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix syrup and peanut butter until well blended. Stir in oats, flour, wheat germ, spices, and mix-ins. If mixture seems too dry, add water 1 teaspoon at a time. If it is too sticky, add oats 1 teaspoon at a time. Mixture should be slightly sticky, but still easily spread in a pan.

Press into a 9x13x1 inch pan, push down with wax paper firmly, the tighter you pack it in the better your bar will be. It is important to get them as even as possible as well as getting out to the edges.

Precut or score bars to make life easier on yourself.

Bake until barely browned, check at 20 minutes and then again every 5 minutes until desired doneness.

While warm spread peanut butter on bars in a thin layer, and then cut bars through. Pre-scoring should make it easier on you.

Makes about 16 bars.

1 comment:

  1. These sound great... Gonna have 2 try them 4 the kids SOON!!

    ReplyDelete